Friday, April 10, 2015

#33: Quantum (Mark's 100 - 2014)


Quantum

Mark's Ranking
  • 2014: 33rd
  • 2012: prior to publication
  • 2010: prior to publication
  • 2005: prior to publication
  • rank: 311
  • rating: 7.45
Print Status
  • in print
Why It's On The List
  • A fast-moving game of space conquest with built-in variety and room for great tactical play. And I love the cover art.
Tips & Tricks:
  • Thanks to the modular board format, the game works like a charm with 2, 3 or 4 players.
  • The combat system is pro-attacking... wise players will take advantage of this to slow down opponents, even if it doesn't directly benefit your plans for placing quantum cubes.
  • Learning how to use the "free" ship powers is the key to playing well. They are easy to overlook in your first play.
  • The technology cards may seem out of balance at first - but each card can be very helpful when paired with the right strategic and tactical play. I'm constantly finding new ways to combine card powers and ship powers.
  • When I say "fast", I'm not kidding. A long game of Quantum lasts an hour.
Extras
  • I haven't written much about Quantum - which is really too bad. It's a great, great game.
  • The Void expansion - available through the BGG shop - is a nifty addition to the game.
  • There's also a nice online implementation on Board Game Arena.

2 comments:

Ed Rozmiarek said...

I keep hearing good things about this game. I guess I should break down and get a copy.

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Ed: if you're on Board Game Arena, let's play the game!

I'm (no surprise) akapastorguy there.