Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#29: Ra (Mark's 100 - 2014)


Ra

Mark's Ranking
  • 2014: 29th
  • 2012: did not appear
  • 2010: did not appear
  • 2005: 73rd
BoardGameGeek
  • rank: 87
  • rating: 7.48
Print Status
  • out of print?
Why It's On The List
  • I'm not sure why Ra jumps on & off this list... it's a splendid auction game that scales well from 3-5 players and is filled with tension and constant reevaluation of values.
Tips & Tricks:
  • Timing is everything. Seriously.
  • My first play of Ra was 90 minutes - which was miserable and turned me off the game for a good year or so. When I finally got to play it at normal speed (30-45 minutes), it jumped considerably in my estimation.
  • There are times (particularly in the final epoch) where winning an auction simply to trade up for a better sun is a good idea. These do not happen as often as I see people making these kinds of trades.
  • There are two spin-off games from the Ra family:
Extras
  • Here's what I wrote about Ra for The One Hundred.
  • There is an iOS app - which is OK but very slow.

No comments: