Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mr. Jacob, If You're Nasty

Jacob vowed a vow: “If God stands by me and protects me on this journey on which I’m setting out, keeps me in food and clothing, and brings me back in one piece to my father’s house, this God will be my God. This stone that I have set up as a memorial pillar will mark this as a place where God lives. And everything you give me, I’ll return a tenth to you.”
     Genesis 28:20-22, The Message

"If God steps up & performs, then He can be my God." Seriously?!
What Jacob wants is a relationship with the Creator based entirely on "what's in it for me?" & "what have you done for me lately?" (apologies to Janet Jackson) It's an "if -> then" mathematical formula, a cause & effect blueprint for future interaction, a negotiating demand.

His "prayer" is incredibly pragmatic & practical - "trust but verify" - but it isn't really a meaningful relationship as much as it is a brass tacks business transaction.

And it is incredibly sad - even more so because it's the story of so many of us.
When I'm gut-level honest, it's the way I want to lean in my own walk with God.

Thankfully, it's not the end of the story.

No comments: