Sunday, April 01, 2012

#69: Bohnanza (Mark's 100 - 2012)

Bohnanza

Mark's Ranking
  • 2012: 69th
  • 2010: 64th
  • 2005: 18th
  • appeared on all three lists

BoardGameGeek

  • rank: 204
  • rating: 7.13

Print Status

  • in print

Why It's On The List

  • An innovative use of cards (you can't rearrange your hand!), a clever theme (bean farming), and some nifty rules to create a barter economy combine to make a great, great game.

Tips & Tricks:

    • Just because you can trade something doesn't mean you should trade something - pay attention!
    • A third bean field is only a good idea if you do it EARLY..

    Extras

    • While the game will play with 3-7 players, I think that the sweet spot is 5-6.
    • I'm a huge fan of the High Bohn expansion for the game (which adds Cosmic Encounter-ish powers & a Wild West theme)... but I never get to play it.
    • The 2 player version - Al Cabohne - is actually a lot of fun... but kinda tough to locate.
    • Here's what I wrote about Bohnanza for The One Hundred.
    • Here's a page from my old website (Game Central Station) about rules mistakes & Bohnanza expansions.

    2 comments:

    huzonfirst said...

    If you have it, please bring High Bohn to the Gathering, Mark. I've never played it, but always wanted to. Hopefully, it won't make the game longer than its weight dictates.

    As an aside, I HATE Al Cabohne. I played it a few times and it seemed truly pointless and very random. Some games just don't work in a two-player format and, not surprisingly, trading games are one of them!

    Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

    I have a pasted-up German copy... which is fine, since all the added cards are "open". I would LOVE to play it.

    BTW, are you & I actually going to play games at the Gathering with anyone besides each other? :-)