Friday, August 11, 2006

Wherefore Art Thou, Geek?

The Geek (that's BoardGameGeek to you non-gamer types) has been down since Wednesday morning. While it isn't the end of the world as we know it, it has slowed down a couple of projects I've been working on:
  • The Apples Project - that's right, kids, the "Son of Apples Project" is getting ready to get underway. I'll be blogging my way through the results starting in mid-September. (BTW, Rick Thornquist, if you're reading this, e-mail me already, eh?!) But with the Geek down, it's a bit tougher to compile the nomination lists for the participants.
  • My Gulf Games reports - because I like linking to game names & so on, I'm on hold with finishing my Gulf Games posts. So you guys will just have to wait a little longer.
  • Information About Insel der Schmuggler - Now THIS is what the Geek is for... Braeden & I bought this Haba game on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the game was missing what the component list called "a white smuggler's die". Based on descriptions in the rules & pictures on the box, I think the missing die is a 1-1-2-2-3-3 die... but there's no way to check easily without the Geek. (It is important to note that Haba customer service responded to my e-mail asking for a die within 3-4 hours - EXCELLENT!)
Well, until the Geek shows back up from it's midsummer nights dream, here's hoping Aldie's day is a just a little bit less hassle-filled than yesterday.

3 comments:

Alfred said...

The die actually goes from 1-4, according to this page:

http://www.spiel-und-autor.de/Spielbesprechungen/inselderschmuggler.html

Not sure about the distribution, though, but my suspicion looking at a lot of pictures is that it's 1-2-2-3-3-4.

Alfred said...

Let's try that link again, shall we?

http://tinyurl.com/ety5z

Mark (aka pastor guy) said...

Alfred,

Thanks for the help with Insel... the game has worked fine with 1/1/2/2/3/3, but I think it'll work even better with 1/2/2/3/3/4.

Mikko,

Thanks for the tip. BTW, I don't think I've told you "congrats" on your new little gamer!

Everyone,

The Geek is back up... go visit it at http://www.boardgamegeek.com!