Monday, April 18, 2005

Some Days, It Just Seems Like That

I went home to eat lunch earlier today (ah, the joys of a 45 step commute from my office to the parsonage) and Shari began telling me about Braeden "teaching" Collin how to jump & be silly. (For those playing along at home without benefit of a program, Braeden is nearly 4 and Collin is 6 days old.) She emphasized how sweet Braeden was... and how hard he tried to get Collin to pay attention - but Collin was asleep.

Being a pastor can feel pretty much like Braeden - you do your best: you study, you wax creative, you pray like mad - and still 1/2 of your "audience" is asleep.

Or worse, sleepwalking. I think the saddest thing I see on a regular basis is people who attend church to put in an appearance... or to keep up appearances... or just appear "religious". All of these, btw, are lousy reasons to attend a worship service.

And though it's nice to have bodies in the seats (it's more fun to speak to 120 people than it is to 60), when many of those bodies are watching you like you're a re-run of "I Love Lucy" they've seen 2 or 3 times before, it's disheartening.

Yet, it's not my job to make sure everyone is there for the right reasons. It's my job to be faithful and to "teach" people silly things like trusting God and loving each other.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8 (NIV)

No comments: